Wednesday, September 2, 2020

My Almost Famous Potato Salad

                         



My Almost Famous Potato Salad


Potato.  Po-tah-toe.  No matter how you pronounce it I really dig potatoes! (Pun is absolutely intended! These amazing root vegetables have gotten a really bad rap recently with the rise of new diet trends like paleo, keto and the Atkins Diet.  I truly don't believe in a low or no carb approach to life.  Carbs power our brains, and yes , you can sure overdo it with bad carbs like refined sugars, but I truly think that if you eat whole foods in moderation, and skipped the processed stuff, you'll be happy and so will your tummy.  Leave the skins on your potatoes, that's where all of the nutrients are, and they're packed with potassium, vitamin C, B6, fiber, and manganese.  They're a great post workout food - in fact I knew a trainer in Vermont who would eat a cold baked russet after every workout! Check out www.potatogoodness.com for more info.

I think every great home cook has their go-to recipe for potato salad.  I sure do. And I have never purchased a potato salad from a grocery store that lived up to my standards. (I'm picky.) They're always too bland or mushy. Like, hello - my name is salt, have we met?

Delgrosso's Amusement Park in Tipton, PA  www.mydelgrossopark.com (known as Bland's Park when I worked there over thirty years ago) had a potato salad that was anything but bland. Literally everyone who went there had to take home a tub.  So that was my standard for the ultimate potato salad. 

It took me years, but I finally came up with a really awesome recipe that one of the owners of Homeport, Ltd in Burlington, VT, Frank Bouchett, proclaimed it the "best potato salad" he ever ate.  homeportonline.com 

I went through a lot of trial and error, and one day came upon a great tip from the amazing Julia Child - you have to season the boiled potatoes while they're still hot with chicken broth and vinegar.  YESSSSS!!!! and Presto no bland potato salad!

I love using the potatoes from the Little Potato Company - www.littlepotatoes.com
and I only use Bragg's Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, with the mother. 
www.braggs.com

My favorite picnic food is my potato salad, cold fried chicken, and chocolate brownies.  I hope you give this a try. Enjoy. 




Almost Famous Potato Salad

 

 

3 lbs baby potatoes - quartered ( I really dig the Little Potato Company)

Kosher salt

½ cup chicken broth (I always use the paste bouillon)

½ cup of mayonnaise

1/4 cup yellow mustard

¼ cup to ½ cup apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg’s Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother)

3 stalks celery chopped

1 large Vidalia onion chopped

1 cup dill pickles chopped

1 tsp celery salt

1 TBSP curry powder

1 tsp pepper

1 tsp dillweed dried

 

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.   Cook potatoes until just tender. * DON’T OVERCOOK – nobody likes mushy potatoes.  Drain potatoes, and place back in pan on low heat for a minute or two.  You’re removing excess water.

In a large bowl, place the potatoes.  Add chicken broth, curry, and vinegar and stir.  Let sit for several minutes while the potatoes soak up the flavor. Add onion, pickles, celery, and rest of spices. Add mayo and stir until combined, don’t over mix, you don’t want mashed potatoes.  Add more salt if needed. Refrigerate until chilled and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Did The Time Go?

 Its been a bit since I took the time to post.  And to anyone following me, I sincerely hope you didn't miss me too bad!  I've been ...